Footnote Size problem

Re my desire to change the footnote number (in the text):

My thanks to those who suggested changing LH, but that has no effect. The
manual says it works only on speedo fonts--isn't "cgtimes" a speedo font?
Also has no effect on Courier. Note that I tried setting LH to 200,200,200
and it had no effect--even though VA LH did report 200,200,200. (This is in
Xy 4.018.)

Robert's and Eric's suggestion of changing the text size before and after
the  does work, and I'm not averse to doing that. I thought this
would do it

ci ///

where WW is the "wild string" and I use it twice (or more) to handle
footnotes longer than 80 bytes. I got "wildcards must be in same order on
both sides of the change" The fact that they were in the same order, didn't
affect the message!

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx