a basic XY III+ glitch?

I've been using Xywrite daily for three plus decades, and this is a first:

As I was typing additional thoughts into a file, the XY screen started shimmying and the text I was typing was replaced by a series of return arrows in the left margin. I quickly hit F5 Store, which of course may have been a mistake.

On opening the file again, I find the first couple of paragraphs (written days ago) intact, but only that string of return arrows below them.

What's odd is that in the directory, this file is now a whopping size -- 344127. The file was less than 12000 when I opened it this morning, and I hadn't even written a complete sentence before the screen began dancing and arrows replaced words. That suggests an enormous file, not just a few paragraphs followed by no more than a couple of pages of arrows.

Can any of you shed light on what has happened?

Lynn Brenner