Re: XYWWWeb.reg for NB

** Reply to message from Michael Norman
on Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:46:46 -0500

> Trying to configure XYWWWEB.REG for NBWIN, I also notice that, using
> XY, when you ChDir to \NBWIN and call up the XYWWWEB.REG raw in NB's
> root directory, the VADR delta produces *C:\XY\* [XY's root directory
> on my machine] instead of *C:\NBWIN.* I know that this is meaningless
> in some ways because if you at XYWWWEB.REG using NB instead of XY,
> you see that VADR is outputting the right path.

What's your point? Obviously, if you're using XyWrite, VADR
will be the XyWrite value. And v.v. VADR is set in Startup or
DFL, not in a formatting command!

> The VADR deltas for *Temporary_Files=* and for
> *AutoSave2_Path=* are grabbing the right values. Same for the JM
> 2.GetPath calls in *AutoFile_Saved_Files=* and
> *Savesess_Data_Files=*. Or am I totally out to lunch and are those
> just place holders?

No, they are not placeholders. These are reliable defaults.
But you can change them to non-standard directories if you want.

> If not, is there anything more than a simple
> C:\NBWIN I need for the above variables?

That's OK too.

> (Putting this simply, for U2
> basics, can XYWWWEB.REG be used out of the box?)

*Some* -- many! -- Keys have reliable defaults out of the box.
Others need manual intervention. You gotta look REG over, and
see what looks right or wrong. If the Value is derived via
programming (like ""), then it is likely to be fine; but
if the Value is literal, like the Comspec Values or something
like "C:\NBWIN", then you gotta make SURE that's correct! But
it's foolish to look at NB's settings with XyWrite, or v.v.!
Think about it. Xy will report XyWrite defaults, NB will report
NB defaults; and the defaults are established, not by REG, but
by INT or DFL.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx