GNUword revisited

In a message in the "Humanist Discussion Group" mailing list (for info see
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/), Ken Tompkins
 writes on "Word Processors for Humanists":

>. . . I draw your attention to a statement in the most recent
>issue of _Lingua Franca_. In an article on Richard Stallman and
>the Free Software Foundation, there appears the following:

>. . . Stallman also plans to develop word processing software.
>It's a tantalizing notion, one that might bring Stallman's ideas
>more directly into the mainstream. Instead of waiting the years
>it takes for Microsoft to release (and charge for) a new update
>of its popular Word program, users of Stallman's software could
>email directly to the FSF site. Scientists could modify the
>program to deal with complex mathematical notations, while
>humanists might help develop the ultimate poststructuralist
>thesaurus. These specialized versions would each be available
>for downloading on the Internet. All that would be missing would
>be the shrink wrap and the styrofoam." (pp. 47-48)

There seem to be a couple of rather odd ideas in this paragraph from LF--a
periodical I'd previously heard of only for its role in Alan Sokal's
hilarious poststructuralism-skewering prank--but the mere idea of a GNU
word processor is a welcome one.
Peter Evans