Re: From NB NY [Descenders]

** Reply to message from Michael Norman
on Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:12:18 -0400

> It's truly astonishing how many implications you
> have to consider making even the smallest of changes.

Yeah -- and it makes one ever more selective re: what to
complain about and what to tolerate (or even what to fix,
quietly!). This is not a small change. All those
ascender/descender/gap/etc values have to match and add up
properly. By playing with gaps, you're altering line spacing --
it's a tradeoff. I leave it to you to understand and then
finesse the numbers. I think those are two of the ugliest fonts
around -- give me Goudy ancien any day. Computer typography is
a particular math puzzle, due mostly to the scalability. Just
figuring out what units they're talking about, and how to calc
them, and how they interrelate, requires a Ph.D. Ask Bill
Troop! He knows a thing or three about this stuff. I just hack
at it until it works.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx