Re: migrate to xy4dos

Morris Krok wrote:

> from Morris Krok
>
> essence@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> replying to Jordan Fox's e-mail
>  Migrating to Xy4dos
>
> Thanks Jordan, I would be grateful to receive the files on disk 3 of
> XY4dos. My version is 4.016 of which I have all the manuals except the
> booklet which explained the differences between XYWrite 3 and 4 in respect
> of certain functions and additions.

Morris,

Sorry about the delay. I will attach a Zipfile of Disk #3 to the end of this
reply [file detached and deleted by XySearch]. (It is from ver. 4.017, and
over a Meg. in size.) Put this on a 1.44 floppy, and see if that works for
you. I could not find 4.015, though it must be around here somewhere. Don't
think I ever had the rev. between those two. Still searching for that
pamphlet, and hope to have it for you within a few

> By reloading the disks which I have, I eliminated the first two errors. AOP
> relates to the auto save default and the other referred to not finding the
> XY4 directory. I have been able to use ldpm to load program files except
> where I tried to load them on letters c, and h. One of my programs does not
> work the same way as it works in XYwrite 3. The moment it cannot find
> something it displays a error message and beeps. I will have to check how to
> suppress this.

As you may know, the ill-fated SIGNATURE came between XY-3 & XY-4. I have a
full set of that also, I think. XY-4 is probably a bit closer to Signature than
to XY-3, in some respects. There _were_ some changes made, including to the
rules of XPL, Help File frame types, and other types of programming. This may
have something to do with it.

> The only error message that comes up when loading XyWrite 4 now is Dic.Hlp
> (not loaded).

The Dict. & Thesaurii used in v. 3 is nominally incompatible with those in v. 4,
and vice-versa, although I think Carl or one of his compatriots found a way
around that.  Take a look around

http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/

for info on that, and a veritable treasure trove of good stuff for supercharging
XY-4.

> Making the Transition is probably what I am referring to. I must have
> mislaid it because I have not been able to find it.

This is definitely something I would have held on to. It is here somewhere.

Jordan