RE: Xy3 text into Outlook E-mail

Reply to note from Peter Brown  Wed, 1 Dec 1999
21:50:17 -0000

-> It's even worse than I remembered. When I try to insert the
-> file as text (Insert-File-File as text only-click on file
-> name), nothing appears in the E-mail text window of Outlook,
-> and Outlook crashes (!).

Hmmm. All other things being equal, the EOF seems the likely
culprit. But all other things are not equal, because you said that
files imported from Xy4 work but files from Xy3 don't. And both Xy4
and Xy3 add the EOF character to their files! (Xy4 has a facility
for reading past the EOF, but that's neither here nor there.)

It's easy enough to eliminate EOF as the cause. Create your
1mail.tmp file in Xy3. Change to the directory that contains
1mail.tmp. Then issue the following command from the XyWrite
command line (the file NOFILE must NOT exist!):
DOS /C COPY 1MAIL.TMP/A+NOFILE 1MAIL.TMP/B

That removes the EOF from 1mail.tmp. Now try importing it into
Outlook.

It *shouldn't* work! Because if it does, it means that Outlook
likes Xy4 EOFs better than Xy3 EOFs -- which is absurd. Let us know
what happens.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/