Re: Misc. Queries

Carl,
  I've finally succeeded in cramming XY4 onto a 1MB pcmcia card
in my
Zeos Pocket PC. I had to use JAM (a shareware "stacker") to get
enough room to do it, and I'm not exactly sure yet that it's
worth it. It runs, takes forever to boot XY at 7mhz, but seems as
fast as XY3 after that.
I commented out the lines in the startup.int that load the mnu
and dlg, and hlp files, and added the lcd.dsp. My next step is to
modify the kbd file to replace all those things I've come to
depend upon, like ^p to print, etc., or anything that depends on
dialogue boxes. ^F4 to store,
Alt-F4 to quit, etc., all no longer function. Not all that hard to do,
I guess, and I was getting frustrated with trying to make XY3
keyboard act like XY4.
 Anyway, do you have any further suggestions on minimizing XY4
for such applications? It gives me a warning when I start up that
the key repeat rate is wrong, keeps trying to load my panasonic
laserjet printer file, and I'm not too happy with the screen yet,
though it's better with lcd.dsp.
But then, I haven't played much with it so far -- it took a good
afternoon just to figure out how to get it on there and make it
fit. My desktop didn't want to transfer anything to the weird
stacked "drive" until I figured out to load the jam.sys and other
files in the OS/2 VBM-dos window with interlnk and tell it the
Zeos's drive letters, etc. Geez, what a hassle! On the other
hand, I'm disappointed at having lost half of the keys -- the
very reason I wanted to use it instead of XY3 in the first place.

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx seaverh@xxxxxxxx
harmon@xxxxxxxx

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
><><><>
<> "The Way of the Samurai is death." - Jocho Yamamoto 1710
Hagakure <>
<> "Let no man's life stand in the way -- especially your own."
  <>
<>                    Miyamoto Musashi
1584-1645  <>
<> "The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am
here <>
<> and you are out there."              Yasutani
Roshi  <>