Somewhat OT: dual booting

When I briefly had XP on my system, I dual-booted it with 98SE and found
the process problem-free, except, of course, that the slo-o-owest thing
a modern PC does is boot.
When I originally set up this box last spring, I had left roughly half
the drive unpartitioned. When I booted from the XP CD it nicely (!)
asked if I wanted to install XP on any of the existing partitions or on
the unused space. I chose unused space, and it proceeded to create a
second Primary DOS partition (something 9x cannot do: 1 primary and 1
secondary is the limit, though you can have as many logical disks as you
like in the secondary) and installed itself there. It then created a
boot loader, so that when I subsequently booted or turned on the PC, I
got a menu of
MS Windows
Windows XP
Of course, XP was the default. If I didn't position the cursor on one or the other within a few seconds, it would boot XP.
Now here is where I did something dumb. Be warned. When I was ready to
remove XP, I ran 98's fdisk and was surprised to see the XP partition
listed as a second Primary DOS partition. Like an idiot, I formatted it
and removed it. I then installed Xandros Linux in the again-unused
space. That created its own boot loader (grub, I believe it is called),
giving me the choice of three iterations of Linux or Windows. The only
problem is that when I choose Windows, I then STILL get the choice of MS
Windows or Windows XP (which isn't there). What I should have done was
seen if there wasn't some way (there probably is) to properly uninstall XP.
On the other hand, it is encouraging to know that 9x's fdisk and XP's
diskpart are so far compatible. When I was installing XP at the office,
I could NOT get the command-line version of diskpart to use less than
the full size of the hard drive for the primary partition. Fortunately,
we have two physical hard drives there, so I finally gave up and let the
whole of the first drive be C:. Then, once XP was installed, I ran
diskpart from within Windows and was able to partition the second disk
into several logical drives. But it now appears that if one were
installing XP on a one-drive system, one could partition with fdisk
(from a 98 boot floppy), then install XP and tell it which partition to
install on.

Question: what is the equivalent command in 2K?

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx