SA/RTF font

Carl--

Your macro is almost perfect for my trivial problem, except for the file rename.  Converting a file called Aaron (no extension) it gives me a file called AARTF (in Times Roman, thank you!), and leaves the UF TIMES format on the original (not a problem).

 It looks like both of the instances of R,T,F, in the macro call the filters. Can I add something to save the converted copy of  FILENAME as FILENAME.RTF ? Even as it stands, I'm already saying goodbye to Wordpad.

For years, incidentally, I could just send ASCII direct from Xywrite to the New York Times--lingering from Atex (whose hardware, particularly keyboards, was an ergonomic disaster). Only around 2004 did the system switch to emailed attached RTF files.  But recently on a very tight deadline, when internet connectivity went down, I was still able to send the ASCII via a desperate dialup to the old Atex server, which I had long believed defunct. The ! old XY reflexes (and the macro I had for the Atex header) saved me. It still only accepts 8.3 filenames, too.

Jon Pareles

You want to REName the RTF output file to... what? [filename].RTF?
That's an easy keyboard macro. Assuming that UF TIMES has the
desired effect, the KBD file assignment would look like this (CoPy
it exactly, but carefully DELETE the three internal 's, so that
it all runs together as a single line):

nn=TFBXu,f, ,t,i,m,e,s,Q2BXs,a,Q2
BCa,e, ,s,a,/,n,e, ,',V,A,$,F,P,',
JM2,.,P,r,s,C,M,l,i,n,e,Q2BDBDBDR,T,F,
JM2,.,s,a,/,r,t,f,Q2XC

Here's an ENCODEd version without the internal 's. Issue
DECODE, then CoPy the macro to the desired key in your KBD
file:

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
nn=TFBXu,f, ,t,i,m,e,s,Q2BXs,a,Q2BCa,e, ,s,a,/,n,e, ,',V,A,$,
F,P,',JM2,.,P,r,s,C,M,l,i,n,e,Q2BDBDBDR,T,F,JM2,.,s,a,/,r,t,f
,Q2XC[cr|lf][cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE

--