Re: No more XP lag with Tamedos

At 12/27/2004 11:25 PM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
> But what about the DF DR= in Settings.dfl? Why would you need
> two settings for TMP files?

You don't. The one in DFL is commented out (prepended ";")
but _remains there_ as a reminder:
;DF DR=G:\XY4\BTFONTS\
Okay, I misunderstood your previous post. You were asking me if I'd gone
into settings.dfl to check the comment, and then suggested I ape it in
startup.int. In fact it was not prepended in my settings.dfl. Hm. BTW, your
comments on TMP files were well taken. They pile up. I'm going to use your
scheme.
Now (is this the last thing on your list?): what's this "double
cursor" business?
I'll tell you where I'm at, but let me back up for a moment. You or Carl or
someone else has said this before, but it really bears repeating: you can
not simply migrate your XY setup from one platform to another. XP/TAME
exposed a number of errors -- in my startup.int, in my .kbd file, and who
knows where else I'll find glitches. Those errors make strange things
happen. One of those strange things is the double cursor.
Question is, what causes it. I thought it was _JM 2.GetXyOSQ2 ;*;_ in
startup. But I did not test this properly and I had other errors extant
when I was testing it (an improperly set path, for one). As soon as I
corrected the other errors, I could not reproduce the double cursor (BTW
there are old posts on this; I think you were able to produce it). It was
not _JM 2.GetXyOSQ2 ;*;_ (NB: _JM 2.GetXyOSQ2 ;*;_ does produce another
anomaly on my system; it starts XY/TAME with the NUMLOCK on. Hit ANY key
and NUMLOCK disappears. At any events I'm using  instead;
no problems.)
So I thought the double cursor was gone, then.... I had not been been
keeping up with U2 changes, especially CLIPW. After I finally got XY/TAME
running right yesterday, I started testing the routines I use every day,
CLIPW among them. As I said, I had not been keeping up with U2 changes and,
just to start, tried invoking it as I had it set up in W98 with VBS. I got
predictable results -- XY gave me error messages, including one that
counted down the seconds as the routine tried to run, and it also produced
that double cursor. Obviously I'm going to start fresh: use CLIP.EXE now,
follow the instructions, change to the new key calls and so on, so there's
no point talking about CLIP until I have redone everything, read the other
posts, and tested it with the new setup. But, if you make the right errors,
bumble enough, you can get that double cursor again.
Just FYI, it is always either five lines down, column left and blinking, a
single blinking underscore, or it sits on the command line, again a
blinking underscore.
As I said, this is all moot now, and likely a lot more than you wanted. I'm
not sure how this helps with debugging, but you asked.

Michael
Couldn't get it to work at all yesterday and then I noticed the key calls had changed. When I tried to run it with the wrong key-call (XX=NOJM2,.,c,l,i,p,w,c,Q2) and I got that second cursor you mentioned. I mention this ONLY illustrate that when you do the right things wrong, you can produce