Re: Editing .exe and .com files -Reply

MOn Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Harmon F Seaver wrote:

> A really handy little utility for doing this (or looking at any file,
> directory, etc, and manipulating files and directories) is the public domain
> DM.COM -- also found under the name DIRMAGIC. You can read any file,
> including .exe or .com, it's simple and small and put out by PC-MAG a few
> years ago. It's public domain, I could upload it or encode it if anyone
> wanted it. You can't edit them with it, but I've never had much luck using
> anything to do that without using something like a SoftIce or other cracking
> tool --- and even then I usually screw it up.

Another such utility is Directory Freedom. It's a shareware
($30) program that not only subsititutes for DOS's DIR command,
but sorts by directory order of your choice. It also can in turn
call up a viewing program, text editor and uncompressing utility
of your choice to act on any files you choose. I've got it set
to work with LIST.COM, QEDIT and PKUNZIP. The version I have is
4.60 from 1992, but more recent versions may be available on
line. I've been so satisfied with this one that I've never
looked, unusual in itself.

I can upload 4.60 if anyone's interested.

--Marv Katz