RE W98 Question

It definitely sounds as if your 98 dupe was indeed seriously compromised.
I'm sending you a complete directory of my 98 SE disk off list. Compare
with yours and see what's missing. As for 98 and newer hardware:
1. 98 first did support USB, but SE does it better. It was 95 OSR/2 that
was SUPPOSED to support USB but didn't really. Neither supports USB 2,
but some USB 2 devices have drivers for 98 SE.
2. MY "new"system is hardly state-of-the-art (BIOS date is 9/13/02) but
it is new enough that I found myself forced to upgrade to SE, because 98
first was having trouble recognizing some components. I never got
anything to recognize the AMR card modem, but I didn't need to, having an
external one to use.
3. The essential thing (MS propaganda about "plug and play" to the
contrary notwithstanding) is to have the appropriate drivers for all your
hardware. Once in a great while the generic ones on the Windows CD work
fine, but most often there are better ones from the component
manufacturer. So if one is buying hardware, always make sure there ARE 98
drivers.

By the by, the guy who runs the Annoyances site wrote a book, which I
just picked up at a sale. I cannot lay my hands on it right now (total
chaos), but will send you the title when I do.
Patricia