non-xywrite question about ram on an apple.

I am writing to the list because collectively and individually it is
the most knowledgeable group of computer people I have ever
communicated with.

My synagogue is buying an Apple iBookG4, model M9418LL/A
laptop for our cantor at a cost of $1299.  One of the programs he is
getting is something called Sibelius which I understand is a music
program.  he may also do some recording on it.  I am one of two
administrators of our computer network.

The computer comes with 256 megs of ram.  We can get 512meg for
an additional ram for $200  and for an additional $600 we could get an
additional gig.  In evaluating whether to invest in additional ram I
would appreciate any advice on whether adding a gig of ram to an
apple is the equivalent of adding a gig of ram to a windows compatible
pc or less or more and whether the mac processor makes better or less
efficient use of the processor than an intel or amd processor when used
for a graphics intensive application and whether therefor a gig of ram
may be overkill.  We are not flush with money.

If anyone knows whether these prices are good prices or out of line
would appreciate the input.  We are located in nyc.

Thanks again

avromf@xxxxxxxx or af413@xxxxxxxx