Re: Running 3.55 in Windows 95

Bob Zimmerman did not understand my message: ≪From: Nathan Sivin

>Just to get a clearer idea of the dimensions of the problem, did you try
>running Xy3 in DOS mode (not a DOS window)? That will tell you whether
>the problem is Windows, which DOS mode does not load.

No, I always run Xywrite full screen, not in a window. In fact, I just
tried
to see if I could get the Pause key to work in a window mode, and it
still
would not.≫

I wasn't talking about a "window mode."

Bob has probably been using a DOS command line *within* Windows (not the
capital letter). That is known as a "DOS window," even though it can be
full screen (and is by default, I think). I was talking about "DOS
mode," which your manual will tell you all about. That operates without
Windows (at least when we are not being precise). For the purpose you
can think of it as DOS 7. It will let you run the program as a
full-screen DOS session. Unlike the "DOS window," you have to reboot to
get back to Windows. It is also handy for nasty jobs you can't do within
Windows, such as deleting the COOKIE files in the \WINDOWS\TEMP
directory. Microsoft doesn't want you to be able to zap them.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science