Re: heavy-duty search & replaces

... wrote:

> Wolfgang: Communication breakdown in Tokyo? Peter Evans
> is just too polite to mention again a DOS search & replace
> utility he's suggested here before, the industrial-strength
> SNR? ... Whatever:

No, no, communication between Peter and myself is just fine (though I am
in Australia at the moment), and I am fully aware of SNR, but it
definitely isn't what I am looking for. For this job (that I will start
today), I want to be working in XyWrite, and do lots of
search-and-replace's of longer strings on the fly, while I am working on
the document. I definitely do not want to construct replace tables for
every occurrence. Therefore the program that Carl Distefano has kindly
provided seems to be exactly what I need. (If I were allowed to make one
more request, I'd love to be able to have wildcards both in the search
and the replace string, but if that's not feasible, I can live with it.)

I do have SNR and use it occasionally for other tasks, but it would be a
bad fit for the one at hand. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx