Temporary default changes: h*lp request

Thanks to this list, I discovered recently that it's possible to make embedded
mode commands (i.e. MD+xx) visible as triangles -- I just never realized that
you could undo the default, whereby these are the only guillemet strings that
don't leave markers in draft view.

But in fact much of the time I still don't want those extra triangles; so I've
started making a non-permanent default change when I want to see them. The
trouble now is that when I make that temporary change (in XyWin -- haven't tried
this in Xy4 for DOS) I also get an error message, and then the  marker
changes from the default (backward-facing arrow) to an underscore character.
(a) I don't like the result (I use the underscore *as* a character sometimes, so
it's visually confusing), and (b) I don't like having default decisions taken
out of my hands.

What am I doing wrong? Or how can I modify XWSET.DFL to avoid this happening?

Cheers,
						Eric Van Tassel

PS: Incidentally, there's another irritating oddity about mode guillemet
strings. When you use Ctl + cursor-left to jump back to the start of a previous
word, and the word is at the beginning of a mode change, the cursor lands on the
first letter of the word but *after* the closing guillemet of the foregoing mode
string -- that is, if I were to input the subject line of this message in bold,
and then jump back to the beginning of the line, the cursor would land between
the closing ≫ of ≪MD+IT≫ and the "T" of "Temporary". Can anything be done
about this?