Re: Off-topic request for assistance -Reply

Win95 OSR2 was the real upgrade to Win95; Win98 is in most
respects an over-priced service release, with a couple of actual
new features that I have no use for.

OSR2 was issued late in 1996; if you have it, your version no.
will be 4.00.950B. It introduced the FAT32 file system,
DriveSpace 3, many multimedia enhancements, support for PC card
and infrared connections, the corrections to the worst bugs that
Steve C. mentioned, etc. I can tell you that its USB support is
effective, and Plug-'n-Play is much improved. I don't like Win95,
but that upgrade made it usable. I gather that Win98 needs more
than the "2d ed." to make it usable, and am avoiding it at least
until a further upgrade. I am so sick of constant crashes that I
would prefer to move to NT, but I hear frequent reports that MS
has finally succeeded in making it crash-prone too.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science