Further on Bookmarks

Smartset provides a very elegant solution to the problem of non-moveable
bookmarks. My own needs for a bookmark that does not shift are much simpler.
I solved them by assigning ASCII 219, a character that I do not otherwise
use, to F11. I assigned to ctrl-F11 the simple commands to find ASCII 219,
beginning at the top of the file with SE /T, and delete it so that the
cursor remains in its place. I also assigned to shf-F11 commands to go to
the top of the file, find ASCII 219, and leave the cursor just after it.
Thus I use ctrl-F11 to go to one bookmark, or the first in the file if there
is more than one, and erase it. I can put a series of F11's in a style sheet
so that ctrl-F11 will quickly guide the cursor in succession to places to
insert data (for instance, address, salutation, and body in a letter style).
shf-F11, on the other hand, will go through multiple bookmarks in order and
leave them intact. This is a very fast way to reach, say, the third.

If you are not sure how to do this, you might want to look in CATALOG.DOC
for my custom keyboard, XPLNS.ZIP, which you can download via anonymous FTP.

N. Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3325, U.S.A.