Profitable BBSes

As I said, I do not know any sysops who make money running a BBS. I do
not know Gene Plantz (have never met him, nor have I ever called his
BBS); I do not know Bob ????? that runs the Wisconsin BBS, although I
certainly do know OF his existence. But I have met LOTS and LOTS of
sysops who do not make money on their boards -- some of whom even run
subscription boards. I'm just speaking from my personal knowledge.
The folks running major multi-line BBSes -- well, I certainly hope they
get *something* from the experience to make it worth their while, be it
$$$ or personal satisfaction. 'Cause it ain't a cheap "hobby"!