R: Change Invisibles: migrating from Xy 3.55 to 4.017

Leslie wrote:
> Let us say you want to search for the italicized Jack in the example
> Below:
>
> All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
>
> If you write your pgm using the ctrl < and > characters (here
> Represented by a single angle bracket):
>
> BX se /Jack/Q2
>
> All is well.
>
> But if you are in the habit (as I am, for the sake of less visual
> Confusion when in normal mode) of using the ascii characters 174/175
> (here represented by a double angle bracket):
>
> BX se /≪MDUL≫Jack≪MDNM≫/Q2
>
> You get a "not found" message.

Leslie,
I think the two examples do not the same thing.
The first one uses real brackets, i.e. the the characters used by Xy for
its formatting commands, while the second example uses a 3-byte
representation of the same characters, the ones you can use on a regular
text. They do not contain any Xy command.
To verify this, first type:
"ctrl-<", then the text "mdbo", then "ctrl->", then write what you want:
your following text will be in bold and you do not see the command (unless
in expanded view);
Now type:
"ctrl-alt-shift-174", then "mdbo", then "ctrl-alt-shift-175": you will
see
this "regular" text: ≪mdbo≫.
So your second example searches for the real text "≪MDUL≫Jack≪MDNM≫"
not the underlined Jack.
Best regards

Adriano Ortile
ortile@xxxxxxxx