Re: printer error messages

Now, let's review:
1. The printer is connected to the USB port on your PC?

My wife's or mine.
2. It's declared shared under Windows?

Yep.
3. You have your computer's name and the printer sharename (I try to keep them under 8 letters each, no spaces, but that's probably not necessary)?

Yep.
4. The effective driver (under Windows) is an HP PCL one?
Don't know what that means, but I can print from Notepad (and all win
programs) to the printer, whichever of our two laptops it's connected to.
5. Your computer has a NIC and an ethernet cable plugged into the RJ45 port and its other end plugged into a powered-up hub, switch, or router? (I'm not 100% sure about that last: I know you don't have to have another PC on in the network for Net Use to work, and I'm fairly sure you have to have a cable plugged into the RJ5 port; about the powered-up switch etc. I'm not sure and cannot test.)
I'm cabled in, she's wireless. Again, all this is moot because it's only Xy
(and DOS, judging results of Type foo.bar > LPT2) that doesn't work.
Hmm, I'm wondering about that ".2" in your printer's name?
No, that's not it. It didn't use to have a .2 and it still didn't work. And
on Krumpet, it's named CanonKrumpet. Oh, maybe I should enclose that in
quotes with NET USE, since it's longer than 8+3. Nope, that does nichts also.
Since I can't print from Windows but not from DOS (not just Xy), the
problem has to be with, or near, NET USE.
Note also, that I get "Printing done" from Xy, and nothing is printing, so
the bytes seem to be going somewhere.
Don't lose any sleep over this: I'll be back in NYC with my old setup on
March 1.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx