Re: Conversion to Microsoft Word

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sat, 7 Feb 1998 11:15:35 -0500 (EST)

> And by the way, I am still interested in what the /n and /v switches
> do. Sorry if my curiousity causes some to wax poetic with sarcasm, but
> I take the attitude that if I can find out more about the options these
> short programs give me, maybe I can actually do more with them. And I
> see nothing wrong with asking those who might already know.

I'm not being sarcastic! I'm just laughing. It seems that the computing
world breaks down into two camps. On the one hand, there's all the kids
today. They never read a manual. They just plunge ahead and try to
intuit their way through every program brazenly. Since programs are
written nowadays for their profile, they are shockingly successful. Then
there's people like you and me, who want to know what every switch means
before we'll even give it a whirl (we've been burned before). My vague
recollection is that the damn thing didn't work unless you used the /N
switch. But maybe I'm wrong. The /V switch obviously toggles versions;
this is documented clearly on the pages you've seen.

I'll bet that the MSWord v5.5 translations do work in more modern
versions of Word, but you probably have to "Import" them or something.
It's pretty farfetched that modern versions won't at
least read old MSWord docs!

---------
Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx