Re: xy windows

Mark Garvey raises the question of whether XY4 insists that
files be copied or moved to adjacent windows. The answer is
technically yes. But in both XYDOS and XYWIN 4, you can set
up any keys you want to copy or move to the XY internal
clipboard and to paste from it. That means you can traverse
any number of windows before pasting. And of course the text
to be copied or moved does not have to stay defined until
you paste it. I use it more routinely than the built-in
copy/move function.

Because I use several other word processors with the Windows
standard ctrl-c,x,v key assignments, I have set up the same
keys in the keyboards for both XY4 versions. In the keyboard
file you just find the CTRL key section by searching for
"=CTRL", go down to lines 45-47, and replace them with
45=ni,XH,JM,(,c,u,t,),yd
46=XH,JM,(,C,o,p,y,),yd
47=XH,UN
(45=x, 46=c, 47=v) or you can make these assignments to any
keys you want.

There is one limitation that has often been mentioned on
this list. XY4 does not use the standard Windows clipboard.
You can't use XYDOS to copy to or from Windows programs. You
can use XYWin to copy *into* the Windows clipboard (e.g., to
then paste into an email message) but, at least in my setup,
you can't go the other way. And if you use the excellent
freeware Yankee Clipper to save and recall a stack of Win
clipboard entries, it won't work there either.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science