Re: Getting LNK/PIF changes to stick

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sun, 24 Jul 2005
08:38:04 -0400

> In XP, when you right-click on the title bar of a Xy window, and choose
> Properties, you get the four tabbed dialog box: Options, Font, Layout, Colors.

> I often have long-standing troubles getting changes made there to "stick."
> Especially screen length and cursor size--they seem to get re-set elsewhere.

QUIT XyWrite, set Properties in the shortcut, relaunch XyWrite. When you
change properties while Xy is running, it often affects only the current
session, then reverts on subsequent launches.

> Actually, I guess what I should find is an overall explanation of how Xy
> works on NT-systems. I know that CMD.EXE is the substitute for DOS.

NTVDM.EXE is the DOS subsystem. CMD.EXE is the default *command processor*
(but can use COMMAND.COM too, and if you just say "EDITOR.EXE" in the shortcut,
the system will automatically choose COMMAND.COM as your command processor);
CMD isn't "DOS itself" -- NTVDM is.

> But I
> don't understand what's going on with the Properties for the .PIF and .LNK
> (and which is which).

PIFs are used by COMMAND.COM, LNKs by CMD.EXE. You can *force* Editor to use
CMD.EXE, if you want. However, you have more control over things that matter
to XyWrite, such as memory settings, if you stick with COMMAND.COM

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx