Re: Printing problem {Solved}

At 8/8/2004 02:17 PM -0400, Harry Binswanger wrote:
You've probably tried this, but not only hard re-boot the computer, turn the power to the HP off and on while the computer is turned off.
A cautionary, somewhat amusing tale follows: To recap, an HPIIIP on a W98SE
system kept printing multiple copies of the same page no matter what I did
and when I tried to print a multiple page file, it would only print
multiple copies of the first page then produce a series of error messages.
I tried to change spool settings, installed new printer file, doubled
checked print drivers, downloaded a new editor.exe, all to no avail.
Printer worked fine with all WIN apps, but with XY it was
going...well...wacky. A number of suggestions from a number of people here
did not work. Then, Harry sent the above. I had indeed tried that before,
but something in his sentence made me think that I was missing something
basic, really basic. And reading his sentence again, it hit me. I had not
tested the printer itself. So I ran a self-test routine to print a test
page, and sure enough, out came multiple copies of the test page. I threw
them out, then, looking down at the trash basket, I noticed the first few
lines of text on the test page: *Printing Menu: Copies 14* Bingo.
The printer is attached to my wife's machine. We have a housekeeper once a
week, a delightful young woman from Poland. She speaks very little English.
At all events, I convinced her across many weeks to please leave everything
on my desk alone, but, apparently, she thought it was okay to wipe down my
wife's desk and equipment. My wife leaves her IIIP on all the time, and it
became clear that it wiping the machine, the housekeeper managed to
accidentally hit just the right combination buttons/toggles to change the
number of print copies and other items in the printer's on-board menu.
I'm not sure where one would put this in trouble-shooting instructions, but
I reckon many folks here will have some fun with it. And, of course, my
thanks for all your suggestions.

Michael Norman