Re: Startup.int Problem; was: Lock-up at BX230611.SPD

** Reply to message from Steve Webber  on Mon, 28 Oct
2002 13:52:47 -0800 (PST)

Steve:

Further to Carl's revision of your INT file:

Your INT file doesn't use *actual* guillemets. When we say, in this forum,
something like ≪PRHere≫≪EX1≫, that's just shorthand for *real* guillemets,
chars 174 and 175. The reason we use "<" and ">" is that high order characters
above charnumber 127 sometimes don't travel across the Internet, or don't
reproduce in certain mailers, or get translated into ANSI characters by certain
mailers, or etc etc. I thought everyone knew that! If you *literally* write
≪PRHere≫≪EX1≫, that's meaningless, it won't stop anything, and yes it will
generate errors galore. On the chance that it will reproduce properly in your
holding
down a combination of keys (Alt+Ctrl perhaps) and hitting 1-7-4 or 1-7-5 on
your keypad.

When you're loading STARTUP.INT, what's your current directory? If it isn't
C:\XY4, then the DLG file isn't loading because you don't specify "C:\XY4\"
when you LOAD it. Errors like "Menu file not loaded" indicate that, well, DLG
isn't getting loaded...

If you want to change the WAit value while XyWrite is running, just issue:
d wa=##
use a value like 20 or 30 or 50 -- that will certainly slow it down. "DF WA="
(with the "F") is only for the SETTINGS.DFL file. (And "" is just
forum-only shorthand for "hit the Enter key, the carriage return key"!!)

Where and how do you create the "2 or 3 Save/Gets" that you make or use? They
are most unlikely to be in the 600-799 range...

DICT.SPL is a binary file, has no identifier or "file label", and you probably
screwed it up by trying to insert one. I'll send you a replacement. Put it in
the C:\XY4 directory. When you shell to DOS (DOS/NV) and issue "echo
%PATH%", is "C:\XY4" listed among the PATH specs? If not, get it in there!
Come on, we've talked about this maybe 500 thousand times.

So, after you make these changes, what are your startup results?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx