Re: XY in DosBox (XP)

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Sat, 10 Apr
2004 11:42:06 -0400

Michael:

> Overall, I've been thinking...: no matter what we do --
> ... XyDos in XP (or related platforms) is simply not going
> to run right in a window (DosBox, virtual Dos, call it what you will.) By
> *run right* I mean with the instant response we all prize and could count
> on in earlier iterations of WIN or in running it full-screen/maximized in
> any form of WIN.

Hmmm. I've lost sight of the basic problem -- could you summarize it? I just
used Xy4DOS under XP Pro on a notebook for two weeks, pounded out ten pages per
day, and found it quite serviceable. Concerning speed, I think actual speed
tests will show that, if anything, many operations are faster in a DOS box
window (on the Desktop) than FullScreen, simply because Windows is optimized
for windows (the difference isn't great, and isn't worth thinking about, IMO).
The double cursor issue is very minor. The jumpy cursor isn't really all that
jumpy or bothersome -- I honestly didn't notice it or think about it once.
Notebooks are a different issue: the keyboards stink, and the LCDs don't
display console fonts nicely in stretched FullScreen DOS (although IBM T-series
is much better looking than most others I've seen).

In short, Xy4DOS certainly works under XP, and to give the impression that one
_must_ use 9x to get satisfactory results doesn't strike me as quite correct.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx