Re: Off topic question.

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Tue, 14
Dec 2004 20:43:46 -0400 (EDT)

Maben:

> As you may have guessed by now, I'm more than a little
> reluctant to run under XP for the very reasons that all
> or almost all of you speak about on this list, namely,
> one cannot run XY4 in a DOS window, which is rather
> significant when one cannot get used to the fonts in
> DOS full screen.

You certainly *can* run Xy4 in a DOS window under XP. Count
me out of the above-mentioned "all of you".

People often mention Uwe Sieber's full screen fonts for CodePage 1252.
They're lovely. His window fonts aren't bad either. There
are also other fine 1252 fonts floating around (and at least four
full screen 1252). Manuel Castelao wrote two windowed 1252 which
are very nice ("almost full screen" at higher resolutions)
-- they're available at XyWWWeb. Some of these options are
referenced at HELP ANSI. But there are also MANY standard
VGA full screen fonts, for both CP 437 and 850 and every other
CodePage, e.g.:

ftp://ftp.bu.edu/pub/mirrors/simtelnet/msdos/vga/fpman220.zip

There's a truly massive package of them called FONTED30.ZIP -- I don't know
where I got it, but it has fonts for every CodePage, and every flavor.
In short, there are lots of VGA fonts out there, if you look hard; surely
one will be pleasing. Search the Net for "dos vga fnt"

> as you might
> guess, I'm still running with Windows95. And so, if
> I correctly understand you, a "thumb drive" is out of the
> question for me at the moment

Win95B OSR2 and Win95C both recognize USB
devices (with an official M$ patch). There's a huge amount of
info about this on the Net, e.g.:

 http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#OSR2

BTW, IBM2TIF is for inserting B&W images in text files.
If anyone has ever done that, I don't know who s/he is.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx