Re: Ultravision

Tom Hawley wrote:
I'm using Ultravision to handle the display of full-screen Xywrite DOS 4.018 on
a one year old Dell workstation running Windows 2000. No problems. On the
other hand, an IBM machine purchased seven years ago and using OS/2 would not
support UV (the screen would blank out whenever I returned to Xy from the
desktop). The key is the video hardware; some works and some doesn't.
We've had a number of posts across the years on UV, and when it "fails,"
sometimes the answer is the driver. UV recommends the ansi driver on the
disks, but some here have discovered that the old DOS 6.0 etc screen driver
solves the blackout problem. Others have solved UV screen problems --
including blackouts, flashing gobbledygook and so forth -- by writing a
simple batch to start the program:

cd \uv (directory where UV and its components reside)
uv (the command that starts the program)
cd \xy
editor
cd \uv
uv off (to disable UV and return the screen to Windows defaults)
We then create a Win shortcut for the batch with the settings one likes (I assume full-screen DOS for anyone who uses UV) and this seems to work. I can't say why this works, because I simply used blind trial-and-error, but for many it does indeed work.

PS: Anyone tried UV on a DESKTOP LCD?

Michael Norman