Re: hardcode.pgm

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> The simplest solution is TYPES. Also known as TYS. It produces REVIEW.TMP
> which may need a tiny bit of cleaning up before being saved under your
> desired filename.

That's stilll the simplest and best way, in my humble opinion, Harry!

> Robert Hemenway refers to incrment.pgm. But isn't there a way to get the
> value of ≪c1≫ from memory (as the cursor moves down the file)?

Dunno. ≪c1≫ has always seemed like a bleeping waste of time to me. We're
writers, not clerks. We ought to remember where we are in a document w/o
having the computer do our counting for us.

> If not, you could write your own increment.pgm--such as:
>
> TF         go to the top of the file that's open
>       set variable 01 to the value 1
>         label a
> BC se // XC   find the next C1 in the file
>         put the current value of variable 01 into the file
> +1>   increment the variable
>          label b
> TF         go back to the top of the file
> BC ci /// XC  wipe out all the c1 markers

I don't see why that wouldn't work. I have done precisely that in order to
renumber a file containing the author's end notes when the author has added
several. I just plug em in where they belong and give them a value of 0. Then
run the count program.

Same for the cite references in the text.

> Note: the above has not been debugged--it's off the top of my head.

So noted.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)