XYWIN, reverting to old keyboard

In my earlier note responding to Jimmy Diecker's problem getting the XYWIN menu
to invoking single paragraph scoping for the ip command, I mentioned additional
troubles I encountered trying to replicate his problem.

This has happened to me before (once or twice) and I wonder if anyone knows
what's going on.

I have rather severely customized xywin to look and feel as much as possible
like a windows version of Nota Bene. I have the command line on top (where it
belongs), draft-edit as the default "view", etc. I have also constructed a new
keyboard file that remaps the function keys to pretty close to their NB roles.
I load that xynb.kbd file at startup with a line in xwstart.int.

After playing with the indent/tab menu, and a few of the default set dialog
boxes (advanced/preferences/defaults) on the menu, I found that the function
keys had reverted to their xywrite functions. Nothing I tried could get the
xynb functions back. The (advanced/preferences/files) screen showed that
xynb.kbd remained loaded. I even tried to reload it from that menu, from the
command line, by rerunning the startup file. To know avail. Even quitting and
reloading didn't help.

Out of desperation, I loaded trust old nb and looked at the xynb.kbd files and
all of the files in the xw subdirectory that had recently been changed. I could
find no suspects.

After that, when I loaded XYWIN, it worked fine, the xynb keyboard was back in
action. Can anybody suggest what might have been happening?

Allan Needell, Dept. of Space History, Nat'l Air & Space Museum
   Smithsonian Institution, MRC 311, Washington, DC 20560 i:
nassh100@xxxxxxxx; b: nassh100@sivm; CServe: 71461,1115
      tel 202/357-2828; fax 202/786-2947