RE Beep in Xy4/XP/Dell

Robert wrote, "don't think the sound card has a connection with the PC
internal speaker." Most PCs, I think, don't. We have one Compaq (foget
the model number) over at the office that has this feature. BUT DOS beeps
don't seem to come from the sound card. At least, they don't always. I've
been digging into this, as Jordan noted, because I WANT the beep (and
cannot get it except on the Compaq). My new system has a speaker (very
faint, because the idiots that designed the case put it facing the
bottom!). The initial "BIOS setup OK" beep comes from that, then once
Windows (98, 2d ed) loads, the sound card takes over and I can get
various sounds from that. AND beeper.bat (the batch file to test DOS
beeping capability that I detailed here a few weeks ago) now produces its
beep from the soundcard-external speaker combination. dBase (5 for DOS)
produces error beeps, but I cannot recall right now (and cannot provoke
any in the time at hand; will try later) whether they're from the speaker
or the soundcard-external speakers. Other Xy error conditions sometimes
elicit beeps, but no error or correction ones yet. Very mysterious
(probably something else BBBG doesn't want us to know).
Patricia