Re: Leaving (was Re: Stack; Abnormal termination of MeNu frames; the Escape key)

Robert,
I have been very busy these last few days but I have followed the series of posts about your leaving. I am not going to increase the long lament we are singing and for a good reason! Anyhow, your long explanation brings to mind some comments.
The result is a giant time commitment, which I really can't
sustain any longer. I'm all worn out, to tell the truth.
And the burden increases rather than diminishes. Our U2
library has become increasingly esoteric and "far out"; it
really does some genuinely wild things now -- but the
farther out it gets, the more we _seem_ to leave the users
behind (that's my impression anyway). I'm out of patience
with user-error, and also with imprecise descriptions or
questions -- it's just discouraging, and a total waste of
time. The odd thing, to me, is that users have become
_less_ adept at problem solving than they were, say, ten
years ago. General knowledge of computer innards has
actually deteriorated, as operating systems increasingly
mask the guts with Wizards and what-not.
All of us knows from experience how incredibly time consuming any
dedication to developping or polishing software is. Most of us have
worked with old programs (I remember my times developing text analysis
routines with Dbase III programming), not to mention the time necessary
to simply attempting to maintain our working system in good condition.
So, we can fully appreciate your generosity all this time.
The problem with current computer users you outline is a general
education problem. This world creates people with no control over their
lives. It is better for the masters of this world (Bill included). In my
activity as a teacher I have seen the evolution of people towards being
completely unable to take their own personal freedom seriously. I am not
going to philosophize but it's a big question.
Let me take one example. There's a
program in v116 called ZIPView, with which I am really
tickled. It is, by a WIDE margin, the easiest, most
friendly utility for peering inside (and reading files
within) ZIPfiles that I have ever used -- and I've tried a
bunch. Blazingly fast, and you are privileged (truly) to
read the files within the ZIP using all the tools that
XyWrite makes available.
The incredible amount of power you have put in the Jumbo file explains
this depressing (for you) issue. Believe: one of my typical free time
activities is to browse through the Xywwweb.inf file. Each time I
discover new possibilities I don't put into practice because we are
working non-stop. We simply don't have time to increase our expertice in
managing the neverending possibilites of XyWrite programming. And there
you (and Carl, of course!) are with that incredible amount of utilities
at our disposal. By the way: I am afraid of a possible similar
announcemtn from Carl!
Unsubscribing seems to me to be the only solution.
I could suggest less radical alternatives but I suppose you have already
disregarded them.
XyWrite use
will surely die. Somebody has to hold this act together,
solve printer problems, etc etc etc. The inability to print
is obviously sufficient to tip the balance for many many
users; they will depart, most likely for Word -- but if
people love XyWrite, then I urge a long look at NBWin,
despite the cost (there is going to be a price to pay no
matter what).
I am an expert (and a fan) of corpses that never die. As you know, the
programs I use day to day are abandomned or dying software: XyWrite (and
within XyWrite, the only confessed user of ansified XyWrite, your
beautiful general purpose editor), NetManage Ecco Pro and Ventura. But I
would continue to use my old IBM PS/2 today if it hadn't broken down
several years ago (and, even so, I purchased another second-hand a
couple of years later I continue to use and to improve as a second
machine). So, I am reluctant to follow the line of using incredibly
powerful machines for tasks we can solve with a Pentium 90 Mhz (as my
second machine, very soon to be upgraded to a P233 Mhz).
About the printers issue: I don't purchase a printer without Postscript.
It's the only advice I can give everyone to avoid problems with
compatibility.
About NB: I am an ex-NB 3 user (I upgraded from NB3 to Signature and so
on) but, for my current purposes, it is not suitable. Your ansified
XyWrite is a lot more compatible.
Anyhow, I am writing longer than expected. Ultimately, I would only like
to express our gratitude and veneration to you.
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao