access denied

Thanks for the many replies to access denied. To recap, I was using a windows98 database program with a link feature that could be accessed through a command-line dialog box. When I tried to start a xy file with the command c:\xy4\editor (sp) \xy\fileIwant I got a W98 DOS window that opened xy4 in the directory of the windows program I was running (DayTimer 2000) with the words "access denied" on the command line. In other words, the program opened but not the file I wanted.

To test this, I did in fact shut down all programs save windows, went out to the dos prompt and
changed directories to \xy (my main xy directory) and from the dos prompt typed editor(sp)
fileIwant. Xy opened with the words "access denied" on the command line. An easy way to
test this would be for those of you with W98 to try the same thing. Someone points out that this
message often indicates another dos program is running and that we should use START EDITOR FileIwant
as the command. I wonder, is the act of shelling out to the command line in effect starting a dos
program? I ask the question is all innocence since at this point I am at the limit of my software
knowledge. Perhaps those with similar systems can test this out. If you have no problems then maybe
there is something peculiar to the configuration of my software. The only thing running in the
background is Ultravision, but, as I understand that wonderful utility, it does not so much run as
serve as an ansii.sys toggle!
. Ag
ain this goes beyond my level of computer expression.

As always, thank you.

Michael Norman