Re: XyWin stops working

andy turnbull wrote:
Thanks. My printer is a Brother MFC 210C.

Well, that puts paid to using Net use. As far as I know, Brothers
don't support either HP PCL or PostScript. (And in my
experience--I had an MFC once--they're LOUSY. That one kept
corrupting its own driver and having to be reinstalled. And as
uninstall never got rid of everything, one had to hand edit the
Registry. Not something even I do lightly.)
Of course, if your Brother does support any version of HP PCL, everything Harry has said is true. I would just add (having tested it today) that merely having a network card (or, more likely nowadays, networking circuitry in you mobo), isn't enough. You need to have a Cat 5 cable from your Network port plugged into a powered switch--or, I suppose, a cable or DSL modem. And you need to declare the printer shared under Windows first.
I have two copies of XY4 but it seems each one can only be loaded once,

Not so. I have one copy installed on... well maybe I'd better not
say in public how many systems. But the Xy 4 installation routine
doesn't work well (if at all) under Windows. So you need an
existing setup you can copy (by way of a CD or DVD-R, a flash
drive, or a network connection). Or you could get a setup from
XyWrite.com.
I do recommend upgrading. Xy4 has a LOT of resources that III didn't (wildcard change and replace, for instance). And Carl and Robert have added to them with their wonderful U2 routines. But searching my own archives, I see that Robert Holmgren did
produce a version of TYP for Xy III. So you don't have to upgrade
to Xy 4 to use this enormously useful routine. You will need
Ghostscript and GSView. Don't have the URLs to hand (I do all my
downloading on the library's machines), but any decent search
engine will turn them up. Get and install them, then get TYP for
Xy III from XyWWWEb.com, follow the instructions, and you should
be able to print to anything--even a Brother!
> I tried Nota Bene but it didn't work for me, because it
seemed to
want to produce only finished (typeset) work. That's the same problem as Word -- but I'm used to writing rough and letting typesetters worry about the final appearance.

This is the besetting sin of all modern WPs. And it seduces
people into being self-publishers. (And then the real publishers
have to clean up the overformatted text they give them.)

On the other hand, there are occasions when one does have to more
or less self-publish, and then it's good to have the capability.
But I've created some very heavily formatted PDFs--four or five
levels of auto-numbered headings--straight from Xy4.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx