Re: No more XP lag with Tamedos

At 12/24/2004 12:02 AM -0800, Si Wright wrote:
Thank you for the explanation of TameDOS. The
unanswerable question is why Microsoft didn't add
something similar to its so-called "compatibility
mode."

Si Wright?
TameDos seems to to be the answer. (My setup: XP Pro W/SP2 on an IBM T41; NB invoked from a pif.) 4.5 must have a host of changes over 4.41. No more "twitch," to borrow Jon's phrase, or jerkiness, or stalling or whatever. No more ks=0,0 or hitting keys to effect some mechanical wake-up of the hardware routines. A few glitches (more on this in a moment) but otherwise, indeed, it's like XyDos in W98.

Some notes:
1. You have to play with Mode con: MS says defaults are rate=20 (for AT style keyboard) delay=1. I had 31/0. Rate was actually too fast. I kept delay=0, which to my eye is just a bit different that delay=1, even thought by inference delay=0 should not work.
2. I could not get rid of the double cursor at first. From some old
troubleshooting, I knew it had something to do with U2, which RH confirmed
at one point on one of his systems. So retracing some old troubleshooting,
I deleted BX 2.GetXyOSÿ Q2;*; from my startup.int and the double cursor was
gone. Tested this by rebooting (also part of the original TS routine). U2
seemed to work just fine without the line. Went into the xywwweb.reg file
and simply typed in the path for XyWWWeb_INF= just in case.
3. First glitch: A) Program comes up in window 2, a blank window, and I
have to FUNC AS or AB to get window 1 where the dir is waiting. Can't
figure out what's causing this. Here's my startup:

DEFAULT DR=C:\XY
LOAD C:\XY\SETTINGS.DFL Q2 FF
LOGIN MICHAEL
LOAD C:\XY\PERS.SPL
LOAD C:\XY\XY4.MNU+C:\XY\XY4.DLG
SETP 1 Q2 FF
LOAD C:\XY\XYWWWEB.U2
LOAD C:\XY\XY4.KBD
Default SL=26
DSORT F,E
DIR
NR
4. Second glitch: On my XP setup, as soon as I open almost any file created on my W98 setup, I get an X in the command window -- X for temporary file, either as soon as the file opens or when I ST or AB it. That does not happen on my W98 setup. The X stay in place for the rest of the XY session. Anyone have a clue?
5. In Xywwweb.reg I left *Comspec_WXP=[blank]. Problem there? (Yes, I
remembered to check to make sure I had my XY dir in the path in
environmental variables.
6. U2 Callup works fine on all the XY sub-dirs, but when I put the cursor
on the double dots before the dir listing, and try to go up one level (to
C:\), I get *Path not found.  &*. For the heck of it, I added C:\ to the
font of the XP path. Nothing. (In W98 when I Callup the double dot I get C:\.)

7. What did I forget? (Gotta be something.)
Thanks to Si Wright's cousin, Jon, for reminding us about TAMEDOS. The latest iteration seems to address the last of screen/lag issues...I think. (You're not hallucinating, Jon.)
Michael Norman