Re: Xy-Word Conversion

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Sun, 9 Mar
2003 15:07:49 -0500

> publishers (in my experience) generally want a file with the
> least possible formatting... This minimal formatting can be transferred
> using the Hungarian filters... [Filter inadequacies] won't matter.

My feeling exactly. As long as I can remember, editors have wanted zero
formatting. They despise it, as an attempt to ornament and dignify a text that
words alone cannot sustain. Even more, they despise texts published without
first submitting to the risk and pang of an editor -- any and all
self-publishing. So who needs a fancy filter? I've never sympathized much
with the complaints about W4W -- almost always concerning formats that are over
the top. Simple is best.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx