On Windows & getting with the program

Eric Van Tassel wrote:
> In XyWin I occasionally fall foul of the Windows combination Alt+F4 ...
> and I bail out of XyWin when I didn't intend to.

On 4 June Harmon Seaver responded (in part) "Yes -- why not just accept the
default? ... everything I use, just about, uses Alt-F4 to quit. Windoz uses it,
OS/2 uses it, Unix X-windows uses it, Geos uses it. So why the heck try to
change it? Get with the program, dude! ... some things are the way they are,
just for your own good, eh?"

While I accept (gladly) the argument in favor of consistency between programs, I
don't think it's fair to accuse me of wanting to program myself into an arcane
backwater. I'm just reluctant to let the software boss me around.

I didn't ask for a way to *change* or override the default key-combination. But
if I work so fast that occasionally I hit a crazy mix of keys, shouldn't I be
allowed to reel back my last mistake and think again, before tumbling over the
cliff into the abyss?

Win 3.1 File Manager, for instance, does ask for confirmation before I even move
a file, let alone delete one. In fact, in File Manager, even if I screw up twice
in a row and not only issue the wrong erase instruction but also wrongly confirm
it, there's Undelete to fall back on. Why shouldn't I have the same safeguard
when it comes to (perhaps) wiping out work that isn't even recoverable with
Undelete?

Xy4DOS, true to the XyWrite tradition, gives *me* the chance to "accept the
default" and leave Alt+F4 as defined; but I was able, without arcana, to *adapt*
the default so that I get a "verify?" stage. I'm only looking for a way to
obtain the same degree of flexibility in XyWin that I already have with the same
default key-combination in Xy4DOS.

Cheers,

Eric Van Tassel