Re: Much easier way to do file comparison--DECODE problems

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Wed, 09
Nov 2005 12:09:54 -0500

> notice
> the extra(?) CR in my version:
> ];*; -----DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE!-----[cr|lf];*;[cr|lf]{
>
> <}IF{<}VA|01{>}<1{>}{<}LBA{>}
>
> There's a real CR (i.e., left-pointing arrow) on the emply line before
> <}IF{<}
> Is it supposed to be there, or did our e-mail clients interpolate it?

Honestly, I don't know what's going on. No, it shouldn't be there. Last night
I sent something to this list, Manuel DECODEd it, and it also had a gratuitous
real carriage return on the third to last line, followed by a gratuitous "<"
character. The wierd part is, that I compared his copy (which he got from the
UPenn CCAT listserv) to my copy (also from UPenn). So we're both looking at
the exact same file, distributed to both of us at the same time, by the same
server -- and yet there was this one difference, which completely wrecked his
DECODE (my copy was a faithful copy of the original that I posted to
CCAT/UPenn).

I don't get it. My first impulse is to attribute it to different Email
clients, but... different POP server behaviors at your local ISP maybe? Hard
to fathom.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx