Re: XY in DosBox (XP)

Michael Norman wrote:

At 4/11/2004 12:45 AM -0400, Robert Holmgren wrote:
In short, Xy4DOS certainly works under XP, and to give the impression that one _must_ use 9x to get satisfactory results doesn't strike me as quite correct.
Without TAME, I respectfully disagree. I find XYDOS in XP in a DosBox unusable, desktop or laptop. With TAME, it is, as you say, satisfactory.
My preferences are exactly the same: without TAME, unusable; with TAME (or using VMWare to run W98 under W2K), satisfactory. Seems to me that list members who report that XyDOS under XP is fine must have hardware or software settings that produce outcomes different from the ones that I see. (I *am* persnickety, but I can't see how anyone could put up with the performance on my machine.) The many discussions on the list have not pinned down those settings, as far as I can tell. (Incidentally, for Thinkpad users: my wife's Thinkpad's XP got somehow corrupted on Friday---"Operating system not found". The partition on which the operating system is stored is also apparently corrupted, so the only alternative is to wait for IBM to send us a CD with the system on it. The earliest it will arrive is Tuesday. IBM could have included such a CD with the new machine, of course; they must saves a few cents not to do so...) -- Martin J. Osborne Department of Economics 150 St. George Street University of Toronto Toronto M5S 3G7 Canada http://www.economics.utoronto.ca martin.osborne@xxxxxxxx http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne