Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

mhchoate wrote:
Caveat emptor. All XP is not created equal. There must be software reasons in XP that full-screen does not always work.
Well, "software" covers a lot of things. The fact that it suddenly
started working after the BigFix makes me think it might have been a
BIOS issue. Hardware does definitely have effects on screen display. A
while back, Robert and I exchanged some posts over a weird PC of mine:
end-of-life when purchased three years ago, underpowered,
bottom-of-the-barrel el-cheapo mobo, with on-board display circuits.
BUT it could display Xy4's Graphic (or WISIWYG) mode in a window,
which nobody else's boxes could do.
In fall of 2005 my Dell desktop (2005ish, Windows98) began making a LOUD fan-whirring noise ... I assumed I had let it get too hot.
Did you try having a new fan or a new Power supply installed? But
beware with Dell. Some of their power supplies are proprietary: have
to use those PSes with that system, and using another could fry
everything.
Now, the issue of whether you really need FullScreen is a whole nother thread .... I'm not sure .... I may try again on that ... when I'm not in crisis mode .... But I am now hot-to-trot on preventing a future crisis mode day. I need to keep a redundant backup, ready to go.
If you use a PC for work, and your work has tight deadlines (as whose
does not?) you simply have to have some sort of backup machine that
can run your mission-critical apps. The great thing about Xy is that
it WILL run nicely on old hardware. So a second-hand box for your
emergency rescue machine is perfectly possible. As it is not for the
poor souls who have to work in the latest version of Weird or
Powerpoint. This isn't clinging to old tech, it's saving a few
Benjamins. (I've found two working PCs at the "curb exchange" on trash
day. Got some use out of them and kept some polysyllabic bad stuff
from getting into the groundwater.)
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx