Re: XW and XP Pro

Juan Hovey wrote:
Can somebody fill me in on installing XyWrite 4.12 on Windows XP Pro?
I forgot one important point yesterday. Do NOT install Xy in a
subdirectory of C:|Program Files. That dir has "features" that make it
almost impossible for DOS or DOS apps to read. Robert's DILFN
(directory, Long File Names) U2 routine fixes it for Xy, but you don't
want to wrestle with the problem before you get U2 set up.
If, like too many users, you hard drive is one huge C:, create a
directory for Xy off the root: C:\Xy4 or something like that. If
you're lucky or smart or both enough to have more than one partition
on your hard drive, put it in another partition, but not, preferably,
that where you store your data (having Xy on one partition and data on
another makes for more efficient operations).
If you do put it on C:, back it up (to CD, Flash drive, another
partition) once you get everything set up, and keep the backup up to
date. In a pinch, you could backup the customization files
(settings.dlf, startup.int, and any programs you might write) to a floppy.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx