Re: We should [NOT] move en masse to Nota Bene (sorry Anne!)

On 12/23/2012 03:10 PM, Bill Troop wrote:

I don't know enough about the current hardware - - and would love to learn from an expert on that - - but isn't it basically possible to run a lot of independent OS's virtualized on the current Intel platform without excessive penalty? Meaning theoretically Linux, Win and Mac should be able to run in independent and non-conflicting spaces?

Virtualization has become very big business, thanks to the need for the cloud to be configurable for multiple platforms, so it's always improving. XP under VirtualBox in Ubuntu is quite good, though for extremely bit-intensive work it is slow, so when I need to edit photos using the Nikon proprietary sw, I tend to boot XP natively. (Even under XP and a quad-core cpu, the Nikon stuff is awfully poky -- which is why I have started to move to RawTherapee, an open-source photo editor.)

Is dosemu platform independent?

It's open-source. Your question raises the interesting possibility that dosemu could be ported to other OSes. That there is no Windows or Mac version suggests that it's difficult -- plus it antedates DOSBox, for which there would never have been a need if dosemu was portable, but -- if you really want to use DOS under Windows these days, porting dosemu would be worth investigating. Once upon a time before FreeDOS you actually needed a version of MS-DOS or PC-DOS to run dosemu, so there might be licensing restrictions on the MS side; in fact I wonder if the reason DOSBox fails in some respects is due to the fact that it seeks to recreate DOS rather than use an actual DOS image.

Using OS/2, whose DOS support was superlative, if the native DOS box couldn't cut it, you could dig up a DOS system floppy, copy its image to your hard disk, and then run it. I'm not going to say it's a trivial undertaking for any modern OS to do that, but what could the issue be? Certainly, however outmoded DOS APIs are, I cannot really believe they are so dangerous they present a genuine security risk or at any rate any that couldn't be sandboxed.