Re: Unerasing (was: Re: What the modern stuff can't do.)

On 10/05/99 at 05:50 PM,
  Eric Van Tassel <101233.342@xxxxxxxx> said (in so many words):

<- I not infrequently
<- (let's say three times in a good week) have to bail out of DOS and go
<- into Win3.1 simply to undelete something I've erased too hastily. (I
<- try to remember to save work-in-progress on a floppy and abandon it on
<- the hard drive; Undelete gets touchy if anything has been done to the
<- pertinent sector of the hard drive since the deletion took place, and
<- I never know whether I'm treading on my own toes if I save any other
<- file.)

<- I must admit that if I were tweaking XyWrite in the innermost core of
<- its being (which I'm not competent to do) one of the features I
<- wouldn't mind having is a built-in Undelete.
 If you mean a built in file undelete or a recover my last ten versions
of this file, that can be built into Xy pretty easily using XPL. It's
probably already been done. For the former, all you need is a
pseudodelete key that renames the file (cleverly) and sticks into some
undelete directory. For the latter you need a replacement for your save
key, that does something similar. Again, someone just must have done
this already; I'll bet it is inside of xywweb.u2?

--
                     Regards,
                     David

Food without hospitality is medicine
	--Tamil proverb
"What would life be without arithmetic, but a scene of horrors?"
            -Rev. Sydney Smith, letter to young lady, 22 July 1835

David Auerbach              David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103