Re: Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Thu, 28 Sep
2006 12:44:42 -0400

> Correct me, please, but you don't use TAME, do you?

No. But I've installed and played with it many times, including recent Pre's.
I've known David for 20 years, first used Tame in 1990. At the beginning of
this XP cursor issue, I proposed Tame as the solution
(http://xywrite.org/msg01714.htm). (I don't much like Tame's
recent fake "full screen" GUI feature, which David probably thinks is just
marvelous -- it is indeed clever, but I prefer my own fonts and facilities, in
order to display XyWrite in various CodePages.)

> In a way, at least for those of us who
> are obsessed with screen issues, TAME is XY's future, short-term
> future perhaps, with Vista on the horizon (no pun intended).

I don't know that I agree, on either count. NBWin is Xy's future, obviously --
and not a bad future either. Whether NB will run under Vista remains to be
seen -- but I think you can bet that somebody will get DOS working as well --
if M$ wanted to do it, they could. But they want to shift to PE v2 instead.
Still, XyWrite isn't dead. User ingenuity has harmonized every significant
hardware development so far -- XyWrite remains vital and serviceable. It will
continue to work well. I'm not concerned about Vista: I can access a
networked legacy machine from any workstation, just as I do now (all of my
networked machines access a single copy of XyWrite on one computer). Or I
could run it via VNC (Remote Desktop), to overcome the absence of WOW in Vista
-- VNC is instantaneous on a LAN. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx