Re: Windows XP?

Lawrence Malkin says:

"Comes now Tim Baehr who says he has no trouble with XyWrite
on
Windows XP. Is he using a box instead of full screen? And if full
screen, then how? Microsoft says that XP and DOS are not
compatible, and Master Gates himself, in introducing XP in
London, said
that it meant "the end of DOS." So do all his salespeople. Can
anyone explain in plain English what's really
happening here?"

XyDOS works fine in either full-screen or DOS box mode. There may be some ways in which WinXP and
DOS are incompatible, but not for me...and I didn't do anything special. I created a shortcut and
put editor.exe in it. I don't recall messing with any of the settings other than putting in my own
Xy icon (one I made myself as an ICO file) and setting the DOS box parameters for the screen font. I
do have it set up to use the DOS box as its default, but that's settable in the Properties
(right-click on the shortcut icon and click Properties).

XP comes out of the box with an icon somewhere in the Programs menu that opens a DOS box. You can
also open a DOS box by clicking Start - Run; typing command; and pressing Enter or clicking OK. So
much for Bill Gates, who of course has always told the absolute truth.

I can switch from full-screen to DOS box and back in XyDOS by pressing Alt+Enter.

[I just opened a DOS box on my NT machine - same basic kernel as XP. I pressed Alt+Enter and -
kapow! - full-screen. Repeated it and - shazam! - back to the DOS box.]

Your mileage may vary - there's always some possibility of problems with specific monitors, drivers,
how XP is set up, etc. And with laptops I have limited experience except that a lot of the time even
full-screen looks lousy.

If anyone's really desperate and thinks it'll help, I could post my shortcut file here.

Tim Baehr