Re: Viruses and Anti-

Sat, 15 Jun 2002 20:29:42 -0400
Patricia M Godfrey  :

> . . . I consider any program that does things to my system without my
> permission a virus, but that's pretty much all Windows and its apps. I
> just never run anything I don't know about. I also will not use Explorer
> online or Outlook or Outlook Express AT ALL.

Patricia's prudent practice goes well with a remark by Steven J.
Vaughan-Nichols, that `Outlook Express is a security hole that also
happens to be an e-mail client' -- & with the definition of a virus as
`any program that does bad things to your computer system.'

I may as well add a lament by Steve Summit, keeper of the C-language FAQ
file. Every week, he told me -- several years ago! -- seems to bring
new ways for a virus to autoexecute.

Look out, look out.

Wendell