Re: Automatic Indexing

I already own Magellan, so I immediately tried Dorothy Day's suggestion to
use MAGELLAN.SKP as a noise word dictionary. It worked fine, but it did
still leave a large number of words that I wouldn't want to put in my index.
Nevertheless, I realized that in some other document on a different subject,
those same words might well belong in an index. So, there will always be a
large amount of paring down to be done after automatically getting the list
of unique words. Even still, that is much easier than ferreting out
important words from a complete manuscript.

I found one curious thing. If one uses MAGELLAN.SKP to do a spell check on
itself, the resultant file of misspellings should be empty. I found it to
contain nine words. This will add to Harry Binswanger's list of mysteries.
Incidentally, I never tried the SPELL approach to indexing in anything but
the file-to-file mode, and I always get the message "Unable to find file
DICT.SPL" or "File not in correct command format." I don't delete or rename
it, but alter the first line, ";SP;"   Jim.

James Enterline  144 West 95th Street  1 (212) 865-9648 Voice/Fax .
New York NY 10025   jenterli@xxxxxxxx