Buggy Variable

Dear SysOp:

Can you reproduce the following bug? With no windows open (all nine windows closed), CAll any file, such as XY4.KBD. Then ABort that file (all nine windows closed again). Check the value of VN$EX. On my system it is "KBD" (or the extension of the last-CAlled file) -- whereas $EX should be empty ("", i.e. length=0) .... Actually, testing further, I see that if default NW<>1, and you simply ABort a file in any window without Removing the Screen RS (keep window open but empty), this behavior occurs. It's been messing up my XPL for months, and I finally tracked it down this afternoon. [Xy4 v4.017B]